Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Discount Barstools

Before going to your local furniture store or department store to purchase bar stools for your home or business you should really do some research into discount bar stools. I am not sure what twigged me to look for bar stools this way but something did and I did and I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

The first thing I did was look in my local yellow pages under discount furniture. I was able to get the names and addresses of a few shops in my town that specialized in and had a good supply of second hand bar stools. Both of stores were huge warehouses and they indicated to me on the phone that their inventory turns over rapidly so I would have to go to the store myself and look for bar stools. However, both stores felt certain that they would have some sort of bar stool in stock. I spent a Saturday afternoon combing through both warehouses with a nice high school kid who worked there. These types of places are hit or miss. I saw a number of different types of bar stools but none suited my needs. The only ones that I really liked only came in a set of 3 which simply wasn't enough for me.

My next step was to look at the Yellow Pages online. The online version seems to have ads from cities up to a five hour drive away. I was able to get a number of names and addresses of places within an hours drive from here. I contacted these stores to determine which ones would be able to deliver to my home.

In my search for discount bar stools, I started to ask where the stools came from. I was really surprised by the answers. The obvious answer is that the bar stools were liquidated from various merchants that had gone out of business. The less obvious answer is that some were in a group that was exposed to slight smoke or water damage (but you would never know it or detect it) and insurance companies were compelled to buy out the inventory. Another less obvious answer is that some of the bar stools came from large nationally branded furniture stores or department stores who simply needed to make room for new models.

Of all of the bar stools I saw, every single one was in excellent condition and none were second hand. With a little bit of investigative work you can find some very good quality discount bar stools at 25% of what you might expect to pay at a regular store. In my case, the search was well worth the effort.